Microsoft has announced that .NET 5.0 has been released. In addition to this, ASP.NET Core, EF Core, C# 9, and F# 5 have also been released. For Visual Studio users, you need Visual Studio 16.8 or later to use .NET 5.0 on Windows and the latest version of Visual Studio for Mac) on macOS. The C# extension for Visual Studio Code already supports .NET 5.0 and C# 9.
.NET 5.0 Highlights
There are many important improvements in .NET 5.0:
- .NET 5.0 is already battle-tested by being hosted for months at dot.net and Bing.com.
- Performance is greatly improved across many components and is described in detail at Performance Improvements in .NET 5.0, Arm64 Performance in .NET 5.0, and gRPC.
- C# 9 and F# 5 offer new language improvements such as top-level programs and records for C# 9, while F# 5 offers interactive programming and a performance boost for functional programming on .NET.
- .NET libraries have enhanced performance for Json serialization, regular expressions, and HTTP (HTTP 1.1, HTTP/2). They are also are now completely annotated for nullability.
- P95 latency has dropped due to refinements in the GC, tiered compilation, and other areas.
- Application deployment options are better, with ClickOnce client app publishing, single-file apps, reduced container image size, and the addition of Server Core container images.
- Platform scope expanded with Windows Arm64 and WebAssembly.
emediaIT is a Microsoft Gold Partner. Our Software Development solutions include software architecture, software development and software testing services for cloud, mobile and desktop solutions. Please contact us to discuss your requirements. The official announcement from Microsoft can be found here.